Fort Useless is a non-profit event venue and art gallery in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
Fort Useless is a sponsored organization of Artspire, a Program of NYFA. NYFA is a 501(c)(3), tax-exempt organization founded in 1971 to work with the arts community throughout New York State and the United States to develop and facilitate programs in all disciplines. ARTSPIRE will receive grants on behalf of Fort Useless, ensure the use of grant funds in accordance with the grant agreements, and will provide program or financial reports as required.
Fort Useless is geared toward providing a hospitable space that can foster a community of like-minded artists and performers of various disciplines and connect them with each other, as well as with potential supporters and fans.
Fort Useless hosts musical showcases that generally feature 2 to 4 artists — usually 1 or 2 shows a month. These shows are presented by StereoactiveNYC unless otherwise noted. We also host a recurring showcase called the “Songwriters Salon,” where musicians are invited to showcase their material in an intimate setting among their peers. Discussion is encouraged at these events and artists often use the opportunity to try out new material as well as material still in progress.
Fort Useless is the home of Spit Take Friday, a monthly comedy showcase hosted and curated by George Flanagan.
Fort Useless features contemporary art exhibitions. Past shows have been curated by Hans Viets, Daina Higgins, Maryanne Ventrice, Nikkie McLeod, and Jeremiah McVay.
Other Arts + Performance
Fort Useless often hosts other types of art and performance, including dance (the “Movements” series, by Jessica Flanagan), storytelling, and screenings.
Fort Useless hosts an annual Mardi Gras celebration on the Saturday before Fat Tuesday. In addition to live performances by local bands, the parties feature plenty of traditional Lousiana Mardi Gras music and trappings like gumbo, king cake, beads, etc.
Bushwick Open Studios
On the first weekend of every June, the Arts In Bushwick organization holds its annual Bushwick Open Studios, a neighborhood-wide celebration of the arts. Each year, Fort Useless has programmed a full weekend of events featuring various performances and arts.
From time to time, Fort Useless plays host to a karaoke party. Sometimes these are private events, sometimes not.
- Bushwick Daily’s Most Fun Things To Do List (December 2013)
- Hearts Bleed Radio Profile/Interview (July 2013)
- Bushwick Daily’s #NoBSBOS Best Music Events (May 2013)
- Brooklyn Spaces Profile/Interview (May 2012)
- The L Magazine Review of 120dB Photo Show (January 2012)
- BrooklynVegan Preview of 120dB Photo Show (January 2012)
- CMJ Review of 2 Year Anniversary Show (September 2011)
- More Drive Preview of 2 Year Anniversary Show (September 2011)
- New Yorker Night Life Pick for Bushwick Open Studios Weekend (June 2010)
- BushwickBK Show Recommendation (April 2010)
- Off Metro Preview of Mardi Gras Party (February 2010)